My Mom’s Kashayam
Today I will share with you my Mom’s secret weapon to fight cough and cold. This is called ‘Kasaay’ in Konkani, ‘Kashaayam’ in Tamil and Telugu, ‘Kaadha’ in Hindi and may North Indian languages.
Whenever we used suffer with cold during this time of the year or during monsoons, mom used prepare it and literally force us to have it. But within hours Mom’s Magic used to work and we would get relief from cold.
Now my Mom’s not with me but yes her recipes are there and I try to maintain the same taste as she’d make them.
Let’s get doing the ‘Kashaayam’, for this we require:
- Onion 1 medium sized thinly chopped
- Methi / Vendayam/Fenugreek seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Sounf/ Badishep/ Flannel seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Jeera/Jeeraham/ Cumin seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Laung/ Kramb/ Cloves 5 number
- Tulsi leaves handful ( ideally the flower portion)
- Coriander/ Malli/ Dhania/ Dhane seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Kalimirch/ Mizhugu/ Miri/ Pepper 5 number
- Chukku podi/ Sunth/ Dry Ginger powder 1/2 Teaspoon.
- Water 4 Cups
How to prepare Kashayam??
It’s a very simple recipe and easy to remember. You have to put all these ingredients into a vessel and add 4 cups of water. Please boil it with minimum heat or sim position of the stove. When the water reduces to half its level, that means roughly around 2 cups of water is left, your Kashayam is ready.
Enjoy your Kashayam hot or warm with honey a teaspoon or two as per your choice. Honey is very soothing and heals sore throat as well.